The West End Cultural Centre acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 1 land, the traditional land of the
Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.
We also offer our thanks to Shoal Lake & Shoal Lake First Nation #40 as the source of Winnipeg’s water.
The West End Cultural Centre (WECC) was established in 1987 when the founders and a team of committed volunteers set out to renovate an old church into a community arts facility. The first concert ever to take place in the hall, on October 23rd of 1987, featured Spirit of the West and proved to audiences that the WECC was ready to fill a void in the music community, dedicating itself to the best in almost every genre of music and art. Since then, the WECC has entertained audiences with a large variety of productions including dance, literary readings, concerts, and festivals.
Primarily a music venue, the WECC is a non-profit, charitable organization that promotes local, national, and international artists by fostering artistic development. We present, enable and encourage live music and artistic expression and provide a meeting place for artists and the community. Many musicians have walked through our doors on their way to stardom. Performers appreciate the intimate nature and superb sound of the theatre, as well as the dedicated audience and devoted volunteers. A few of the performers to play the WECC have been: Ron Sexsmith, Bruce Cockburn, Neko Case, NoMeansNo, The Weakerthans, Feist, Austra, T-Model Ford, Shane Koyczan, Daniel Champagne, Martha Wainright, Zucchero, Sarah Harmer, Danny Michel, Martin Sexton, Daniel Champagne, Gordon Lightfoot, Tanya Tagaq, Leif Vollebekk, Victoria Williams, Lyle Lovett, and John K Samson.
The West End Cultural Centre boasts:
- Two venues, one with a capacity of approximately 80, and the other with a capacity of approximately 380
- Environmentally sustainable construction and operations
- Wheelchair accessibility
- All ages are welcome during any performance
- Lobby area with mezzanine
- Flexible seating options in each room
- Fully licensed bar with bartenders
- Brand new washrooms
- Two greenrooms
- Trained House Managers
- Volunteers to help with patron services
- High quality sound and lighting in both rooms
- Professional technicians
- Close to downtown and two major bus routes
- Available for rentals days or evenings
- Affordable rates and options for non profit organizations