At the West End Cultural Centre, we believe that true appreciation of the arts is not passive. In fact, the WECC’s founding statement concludes with the commitment to “make sure people will get involved, not in some peripheral way but with their hearts and guts and brains”.
Our community outreach programming is deeply rooted in this commitment to getting people involved by reaching out to residents in the surrounding community and encouraging active participation in the arts. We strive to provide a continuum of free or minimal cost programming for youth and families to encourage an arts habit that will last a lifetime.
WECC outreach programs provide opportunities for active participation in the arts, offer free arts education for inner-city youth, increase exposure to a variety of artistic disciplines, and build bridges between artists and the local community.
***Winner of the Community Excellence Award at the 2016 & 2017 Western Canadian Music Awards ***
The WECC believes that true arts appreciation goes beyond sitting in an audience. We look for ways to bring artists and community members together to learn and grow.
The Community Arts Partnership Program
This program is designed to assist organizations that want to organize arts events at the WECC. This program offers free use of the venue (plus a $250 labour fee) to community and arts groups for events that:
- provide opportunities for citizens to be involved in the arts when they otherwise would not have the opportunity
- increase community access to Canadian artists and music out of the mainstream
- provide educational opportunities in the development of artistic expression
- provide community members with direct contact with professional musicians when they otherwise would not have the opportunity
- assist community-based organizations in presenting arts events
Organizations that have partnered with the WECC include: the Manitoba Independent Songwriters Circle, the Spence Neighbourhood Association, Career Trek, and The Rainbow Resource Centre.
We are interested in hearing from groups with projects such as:
- Cultural education – music, dance and theatre
- Development of new artists
- Social service event with arts component
- Awareness or fundraising projects with arts component
For more information about the CAP Program and for application forms please contact Jessee Havey at 204.783.6918 or email@example.com.